Tuesday 11 November 2008

The Student Perspective - Serena Harris


As my first flight, of many, was about to take off I had a mixture of emotions running through my head. This would be my first experience outside of the US for longer than a week and I knew I was about to be immersed in a new culture. Everything would be different from the food and living arrangements to the lack of medical resources and healthcare facilities. I’m happy to say that although I had my worries, this experience has helped me grow both personally as well as professionally.

My experiences at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital were very different from any other hospital experiences thus far in my 6 months of rotations. As I walked into the hospital my first day there was a distinct, overwhelming smell that nearly took my breath away. This was only one of the many things I would become accustom to over the next 8 weeks. Multiple patients to a bed, medication not being given, unreliable lab results, and lack of resources were encountered daily. It’s indescribable the feeling you get when you know a patient will soon die because they either don’t have the money to pay for proper treatment or it simply is not yet available here. I sometimes found myself near tears during rounds and frustrated to the point of almost walking out. These were the bad days. The most rewarding experiences came when I improved quality of life for my patients and watched the transformation of the sick into the healthy. Whether it is managing glucose in a newly diagnosed diabetic or changing anticonvulsant medication to control seizures, the potential role of pharmacy in Kenya is immense.

Through my interaction with Kenyan and American physicians and medical students on rounds, it has become clear the effect we can have on patient care when working closely together. The Kenyan interns are often responsible for over 25 patients a day, a truly mind boggling thing once you understand the amount of work required in each patients care. I found my role on the team often changing from typical pharmacy related medication issues to recommending appropriate labs, calling attention to electrolyte disturbances, and addressing untreated medical problems. Purdue pharmacy students have a unique opportunity to truly make a difference in all aspect of patient care. Once you earn the trust of your team, they will look to you as the expert in all things related to medication. I not only recommended dosing, but also specific agents we should use based on patient and disease specifics.

Learning did not end with ward rounds. We had daily patient discussions with Sonak that enhanced not only our medication knowledge, but also our critical thinking skills. We used this opportunity to present difficult patient cases and determine the best management for each patient. Other unique learning opportunities came from our interaction with Kenyan pharmacy students. They made the transition from work in America to Kenya much easier. As I looked down at a treatment sheet for the first time, I had no idea what half of the medications were treating. Disease such as typhoid fever, PCP, malaria, toxoplasmosis, and tuberculosis are a common diagnosis here rather than a rarity. We were able to share our knowledge base with each other and form friendships along the way.
My eight weeks in Kenya have offered much more than just a learning experience.
The opportunity to experience a new culture and meet people from around the world has been amazing. I’ve tried new things and stepped outside my comfort zone. I clearly remember my first time walking through town. I felt like an outsider for the first time in my life. All eyes were on me as I walked through the dirt streets of Eldoret. To my surprise, I was greeted with smiles, waves, and best wishes for the duration of my stay here.

There’s a sense of camaraderie and respect for one another found here that we’re often lacking in the US. I’ve met a lot of amazing people here and I’ll never forget the kindness and generosity they’ve shown me. I’m grateful for all of my experiences in Kenya, the good with the bad. I hope that in some small way my stay in Kenya has made a difference because it sure has left a lasting impression on me!